Today we cover telltale signs your home is in need-of mold remediation, and what the extreme damage could be, especially if it is ignored. Black mold is not an uncommon topic for any homeowner whether-or-not you know the basics of what to look for, or if you’ve experienced it in your home first hand. But first, let’s start off with the basics.
What is black mold?
- Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys) is a type of fungus that ceases to exist to decompose and decay natural organic materials in the environment and thrives off-of a food source, ideal temperature, and moisture.
- Black mold multiplies by producing micro spores which are similar-to the size of a plant seed, but still are a lot smaller. Imagine one strand of hair being split a thousand times by diameter.
- Black mold is toxic and is extremely dangerous to the human body.
How do I know I need mold remediation?
Besides the obvious signs of physically seeing mold growing in certain areas in your home such as the bathroom, kitchen, plant areas, and so forth- It is important to know that they can be in other hidden areas as well. For example, attics, inside drywall, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and air ducts can be consumed with mold and blow into your home spreading and circulating throughout. When this happens, it also increases the mold growth. If you believe there is mold growing in your vents, refrain from turning on the heat or air conditioning until remediation by a professional.
Symptoms of mold in your home can include the following:
- A musty smell
- Allergies/ Heightened allergies
- Increased asthma or shortness of breath
- Nasal stuffiness or runniness
- Coughing/ wheezing
- Eye irritation – Red eyes or light sensitivity
- Skin irritation
- Memory loss
If any of these symptoms seem to decrease when you’re away from home that is another telltale sign it is time for mold remediation.
If mold is not visible but you can smell it in your home, it is important to have a professional do a mold test. Enviro-Air specializes in mold testing along mold remediation and can answer any of your concerns in depth before, during, and after the process.
Mold is not only dangerous to you and your family- an extensive mold outbreak can cause serious damage to your home as well.
How can an extensive mold outbreak damage my home?
If mold outbreaks are not taken care of properly it can become a serious financial strain in the long run. With there being potential long-term health issues (typically causing respiratory trouble), there is also a likelihood an extensive outbreak in your home could call for more than just mold remediation.
That can include the following:
- Mold can eat away at walls and rooftops causing structural damage inside the home requiring home renovation.
- Basements that are flooded or have mold that is not properly addressed will be an issue when selling your home. This type of damage will likely result in loss of potential buyers or the demand to remediate and fix the damaged areas before closing on the home sale.
- In some extreme cases, there have been homes that were uncontrollably problematic with black mold had to be foreclosed, demolished, or completely rebuilt.
However, the damages black mold can do to your home can be prevented if you can identify the signs and symptoms throughout your home before it becomes widespread.
There are a few symptoms I’ve identified, but nothing is visible. What should I do?
Enviro-Air Cleaning provide specialists that take care of your concerns in order to keep you and your family safe. Contact us today to schedule your mold test or mold remediation.
We take pride in providing exceptional, top notch services on-time, every-time.